Soup is probably the most historical of anything cooked in the kitchen. There’s a real good reason for that. Haven’t you ever heard or read the story “Stone Soup’? My mother who cooked soup every day of the week (and different soups each night) always said when we asked her what the soup of the day is, her response, “anything in the fridge soup”. Soup by its very nature can only be successful. You can play around with your favorite vegetables and spices.
Why is soup so popular? For me, it’s a no brainer- SUPER FOOD IN A BOWL! For others it’s a matter of knowing your veggies, finding the spices you like to eat and understanding which soups to make for each season. Yes, seasonal foods make a difference!
Here are a few blissful reasons to make soup. And each and every one of these reasons is why I make soup for my family, friends and myself.
* Coming home to a soup, filling the air with the scent of a delicious aroma.
* A bowl of soup is all you need sometimes. A hearty soup is so satisfying.
* Feeling the chills, cold, under the weather? A bowl of soup is so healing.
* There’s a soup for all seasons with a little change of vegetables and spices.
We are now in the Fall season. My favorite season! I use my Fall and Winter spices, shop for root vegetables at my local vegetable store and chop, chop, chop… (a great knife makes my chopping so much fun and efficient).
If you’re looking for a delicious, nutritious, easy, satisfying and can’t stop eating Fall and Winter soup than you must make my homemade tried and tested Vegetable Soup. It’ll ground you, elevate you and warm your tummy!
Vegetable Soup for the Soul
Root To Rise
2 garlic cloves
½ a cabbage head
4 celery sticks
10 cups of water
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp parsley
1 tbsp ume vinegar (optional)
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Drizzle coconut or grape seed oil in a soup pot
2. Add garlic, onion, and carrots
3. Sauté onions on low flame or heat for five minutes until translucent in color
4. Add sweet potato, cabbage, celery and turnip. Stir all together
5. Add sea salt and pepper
6. Add water and bring to a boil than turn down heat to a simmer for 25-30 minutes
Embrace, Enjoy, Live, Love, Laugh and EAT!
Genia– La Riene de la Cocina