I’m all about healthy food that is easy to create and looks beautifully delicious. I also love making sauces (it’s all about the dressing and sauce) to bedazzle my dishes.
I grew up thinking Brussels sprouts had to be steamed, boiled or oven roasted – which has always been my favorite. My 13 year old was asking me to make brussels sprouts like they do in his summer camp. Interesting, my son likes camp food and Brussels sprouts, no kidding!!! He described them to me: crispy, sweet, and pan roasted. Ok, I could do that! He insisted on only using honey to coat the sprouts but I knew all too well that the honey would harden and thicken and get gooey and I just was not going to experiment with what I thought would be a waste of a good batch of brussels sprouts. Well, we figured it out. We put some yummy ingredients together. We did it! Super simple and only 5 ingredients. Isaac is HAPPY with my new veggie dish, and I’m loving it!
1 lb – approx. two cups of brussels sprouts – wash and cut the ends, and remove the outer leaves that can be used to oven roast for Brussels sprouts chips – that’s another easy recipe
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp. soy sauce
3 garlic cloves – finely chopped
Black pepper optional
- Cut the sprouts in half and toss with oil.
- Heat up a skillet pan over low to medium heat. Place the sprouts flat side down in a single layer in the pan.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. The flat side will start to turn brown. Keep on low flame to steam sprouts to cook through.
- During the steaming process now is the time to make your sauce. Heat up the honey, soy sauce and finely chopped garlic in another small saucepan over low heat until it bubbles and thickens. Turn off heat and set the sauce aside for later.
- When the sprouts are tender, uncover (test by inserting a fork into a sprout). Keep the sprouts cooking and browning until they look like they are caramelizing. Stir while cooking.
- Turn off heat and toss the sprouts with the sauce. You can add fresh pepper to taste. Serve immediately. They are delicious hot or cold.
Embrace, Enjoy, Live, Love, Laugh and EAT!