”This is my advice to people: Learn how to cook, try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun”-Julia Child
In our Dinner Table Family Headquarters cookbook, my sisters and I created gorgeous, easy, and delicious meals. We gave each meal a title, just like chapters in a storybook. We got creative and had quite some laughs.
In Chapter 25, page 126, title: ‘Bat Out of Heaven’ was inspired by our first recipe, Dutch Meatloaf. This was one of our favorite dishes growing up. When my teenager son overheard us brainstorming for a cool and appropriate title for our meatloaf menu, he shouted out, “Bat Out of H-ll”, Brilliant! The only issue was that I couldn’t use the word h-ll. That word was never going to make it in our wholesome book, and my version of my mother’s meatloaf is heavenly, not h-ish. So, the title – ‘Bat Out of Heaven’ was born.
Did You Know:
* Meatloaf is the IT dish on restaurant menus.
* Meatloaf is a comfort food.
* Meatloaf, the famous musician got his nickname because he was meaty strong growing up, and landed some meaty acting roles.
11/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 slice whole wheat bread, crumbled
1 onion, finely chopped
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce, divided
1 egg, beaten
1 Tsp sea salt
¼ Tsp black pepper
¼ cup water
2 Tbsps sugar of honey
2 Tbsps mustard
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the beef, breadcrumbs, onion, ¾ cup tomato sauce, egg, sea salt, and pepper. Mix, and place into 9×5 inch loaf pan.
3. Mix the remaining tomato sauce with the water, sugar, and mustard. Pour over the loaf.
4. Bake for 11/2 hours.
5. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes before slicing.
It’s that easy!
Embrace, Enjoy, Live, Love, Laugh, and EAT!